Friday, December 14, 2012

Elections

Last month, here in the United States, we had the presidential elections. President Obama, to the dismay of many people I know, was elected and continues his presidency. However, we are blessed to be in a country that after elections, there are no riots or upheavals. The transition, for the most part, peaceful.

The candidate I voted for didn't win, and honestly, that's OK. I voted for Mitt Romney, but not necessarily for the reasons you may think. Yes, I'm a Mormon and he's a Mormon, but I don't for someone based on his religion. I voted for him because his political ideals were most in line to what my ideals are. This is really the way that people should vote. A man's religion should not be a factor in voting for him, his willingness to protect our religious freedom should be. That really wasn't an issue anyway.

There are many people I know that were upset about the outcome of the election. We need to get over it. There are two major points I wish to make. The first is that the president is not the only elected official that leads our country. We have senators, legislators, governors, and many other elected officials that run our country. Despite being a big link in the chain, the president isn't a king and doesn't control every aspect of the country, and that includes a large part of the economy. If people want change, they need to take action and participate in the government and make their voice heard, no matter how small, and not just during the presidential elections.

My second point is that we need pray for our people in the government, especially that they will make the right decisions. I want Obama to succeed in making this a better country, just as I hope that the other government officials would. To hope that any government official would fail is a ridiculous notion.

If we are not satisfied with what we have now, we need to vote and make those changes. We are responsible for the people we elect. If we want change, we cannot be complacent and wait for things to change. We need to make those changes, we need to vote even when we feel that it doesn't matter (I will talk more about that later).

9 Nevertheless, when the wicked rule the people mourn.
10 Wherefore, honest men and wise men should be sought for diligently, and good men and wise men ye should observe to uphold; otherwise whatsoever is less than these cometh of evil.

No comments:

Post a Comment